top of page

Getting Started in ND


Are you new to homeschooling?

The THEA support group would be happy to help you in any way with any questions or concerns you have about home schooling.  Feel free to contact us for help. 

This page contains information on getting started, ND law, and curriculum.


Watch our Homeschool 101 information session.

ND Law

The following is a summary of the home schooling law in ND. 

1.  You need a high school diploma to home school.  (If you do not have a diploma or a GED you will need to be monitored for a two year period).

2.  Two weeks before you begin your home education program for the school year you need to submit a Statement of Intent to the administrative office of the public school district in which your child would be enrolled.  This form has your name, your child's name, grade level, etc.  The first time you send it in you need to submit a copy of your child's birth certificate and immunization record as well as a copy of your diploma.   They will keep these on file and you will not need to submit them again.   The Statement of Intent is not a form granting you permission to home school, it simply states your intention to do so.  We recommend you use the SOI created by North Dakota Home School Association.

3.  You may wish to administer standardized tests to your child in grades 4, 6, 8, and 10.  The public school is required to provide one for you (as well as a teacher to give it) if you request.  If you prefer to order your own test you can do so.  It must be administered by a ND certified teacher with the results sent to the school district.  The support group has several home educators who are teachers and give the test to families who need someone to do so. 

Testing Opt Out as it relates to NDCC 15.1-23-09: The 2017 legislature passed HB 1428 which allows parents with philosophical, religious or moral beliefs opposed to standardized testing to opt out of testing as required in grades 4, 6, 8 and 10. Academic requirements are no longer required by law.  If you wish to opt out of testing for a given school year, you must indicate this on your Statement of Intent.


4.  You are required to file a statement of intent for a child aged 7-16 each year you homeschool.  The first filing should be done two weeks before your child turns 7. 


There are a wide variety of curriculum options to consider.  There are companies that provide a complete curriculum option such as ABeka, Bob Jones, Alpha Omega, Sonlight, My Father's World, etc.  Some companies offer a virtual classroom experience with DVDs or online classes.  There is a vast array of curriculum options available to meet the needs of each individual student and family. 

There are many others as well.  

Perhaps the greatest help in selecting curriculum is personal recommendation. We encourage you to contact us or other homeschoolers you know and ask for help. Noting your child's ages, learning styles, needs, etc is helpful. When we receive your email, we can help you via email or phone or set up a time to meet.

For Additional Resources, including Statement of Intent, Special Needs and High School information please click here. 

For mentoring or coaching to help you get started, please visit ND Homeschool Moms.

bottom of page